Tuesday 20 November 2007

Nada

One of the joys of my aimless wanderings around the city means that I occasionally find something really special. This tiny sticker was tucked under a step and I only saw it because I was putting my bag down.

I haven't a clue what it's about, but it made me smile.

Yesterday's march has also got me thinking. I've often been concerned with nationalism and what the fringes can be like. The Pro Belgium march was without taint of extremism - apart from the 15 right of sensible nutters who were promptly arrested by the cops.

It was a good sense of nationalism, just people who were happy being Belgian.

It's a funny thing, nationality. Each of us has several nationalities, for example I'm British, but I don't describe myself as that, I'm English (recovering nicely by the way - Step One "I am powerless over my Englishness"). Increased devolution in the UK has brought about an English, shall we say, awareness. how will this develop? First indications are that we've recaptured the flag from the Far Right.

I did meet a Belgian friend who said he didn't care if Belgium stayed or went. He's a smart guy, but the concept of not caring about your country is alien to many. I can't imagine a world without Britain.

No comments: