Monday 23 July 2007

Who's Idea Was This?

At National Day, I was wandering around the EU propoganda information stands, inwardly weeping at their asinine slogan "Europe Cares" ( about what? Referendums? Per Diems? ) that was on freebie bags, T Shirts etc when I turned around and saw this.

Now, I've spent a lot of time in Africa and it's a fascinating and wonderous place, but it'll also break your heart. I'm trying not to prattle on about development here, so deep breath and on we go.

I liked seeing the bus, Lord knows I've spent a lot of time in them, often damaging my backside on long bumpy journeys. I didn't like the deceptive slogan "Afrika's on the move", mainly because Africa is indeed moving. In the wrong direction.

No, what really got me was the caricature of an African placed next to it. Let's take a closer look:

Stupid expression - check
Funny haircut - check
Big staring eyes - check
Huge ugly nose - check
Big red monkey lips - check
Silly gesture - check

Now, this did ring a bell. Where had I seen this before? Oh Yes, over here.

No comments: